Cousin of Black Lives Matter founder dies after being repeatedly shocked by police

A relative of a Black Lives Matter founder has died of cardiac arrest after being repeatedly shocked by police in the US.

Cousin Keenan Anderson BLM Co-founder Patrisse Cullors was arrested by the police on January 3 following a car accident. Los Angeles.

Footage of the incident shows Mr. Anderson initially obeying police before running into traffic.

A police officer on a motorcycle followed Mr. Anderson, caught up with him and ordered him to lie down.

Reserve officers arrived and struggled to keep the 31-year-old English teacher on the ground, shocking him multiple times in the end.

Worrying footage shows Mr Anderson screaming for help and shouting repeatedly that the police “try to kill” him.

At one point, when an officer threw his arm around his throat, officers could be heard saying they were trying to make him “George Floyd” and then accusing the police of being an “actor”.

He was then handcuffed and his legs tied.

After his arrest, Mr. Anderson, a father of a child, was handled by paramedics before being taken to a local hospital.

He suffered a heart attack at the hospital and died about four and a half hours after officers began reining in him.

Police said a preliminary toxicology report showed that Mr. Anderson had tested positive for cocaine and marijuana, adding that the Los Angeles County coroner’s office was expected to conduct its own independent toxicology tests.

His cousin, Ms. Cullors, said on Instagram that her cousin was “killed by the LAPD”.

“Keenan deserves to be alive right now, his child deserves to be raised by his father. Keenan, we will fight for you and for all our loved ones affected by state violence.”

The identities of the officers involved in the incident have not been released.

BLM supporters have since staged a protest outside LAPD headquarters.

Footage of the incident involving Mr. Anderson was posted online by the LAPD.

Police chief Michel Moore said the videos were released “to demonstrate our commitment to full transparency and to judge this on the merits of what the investigation has shown us, and to ask the public for patience as we pursue this engagement.”

He added that it is unclear what role officers “played” in Mr Anderson’s death and that they have not yet been named by the LAPD.

The Los Angeles County coroner’s office is still investigating.

Three people have died during or after interactions with the LAPD since the start of the year, Mr Moore said at a press conference about this issue, saying he was “deeply concerned”.

In addition to the death of Mr. Anderson from a heart attack, Oscar Sanchez, 35, and Takar Smith, 45, have been shot dead since New Year’s Eve.

Mr. Smith was shot after threatening officers with a butcher knife. The officers did not call a specialist mental health team after the 911 call was reported by her husband that she had schizophrenia and was not taking her medication, meaning that she was likely to resort to violence.

Mr. Sanchez was reported to have waved a “temporary spear” at police and was shot multiple times by police, who arrested him after a shootout.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *